Skip to content


March 11, 2010

So just yesterday, Ethiopia announced that with all new cases being submitted to court, that the adoptive family must be present for the court appointment.  What that translates to is that we will have to travel twice now to Ethiopia.  Once for the first court appointment where they make Abigail ours officially and then again several weeks later to pick her up.

This new decision has been made to add more safeguards to the orphans in Ethiopia.  Apparently there was a family who recently rejected a child after the adoption was finished.  So tragic.  So they are trying to make sure families meet the child before they proceed in court.  While I understand some of their logic, it will definitely add barriers to families considering Ethiopia in the future.

Ethiopia DOES allow for the child to be escorted back to the States, so technically you don’t have to travel to pick them up.  But I can’t imagine someone else going to get her from her orphanage and then taking her on such a LONG flight back to us.  (Plus, you have to pay for the escort’s flight anyways…might as well be us!)

Obviously this adds more expenses than we’d originally planned for!  Not to mention having to be away from the other kids twice now instead of just once.  But we are excited to meet her earlier and trust that God will make a way!
Thanks for praying with us for our finances and for this process to move forward as quickly as possible.  We should have a court date set sometime in the next few weeks (just an appointment MADE, not the actual court date).  When we find out the appointment time, we’ll have to determine our travel situation immediately.

Really excited to meet sweet girl and even more ready to just get her home.

4 Comments leave one →
  1. March 11, 2010 7:03 pm

    Definitely praying God will provide all of Abigail’s & your needs.

  2. March 12, 2010 9:39 am

    Oh, we are dealing with this surprise curveball too! The sheer number of things we can’t control makes me want to crawl into bed sometimes. 🙂 I will be praying for what all of this means for your family and the money you’re trying to raise!

    • March 12, 2010 11:38 am

      Thanks so much. We will pray for you guys too.

      When do you all hope to travel?

      Did you hear the courts usually close for August and September? We are praying to get Abigail home before then for sure!

      • March 12, 2010 2:56 pm

        We are hoping to travel sometime this summer–probably late summer. We’re next on our list for a referral, dossier already in ET, & are anticipating some news in the next couple of weeks.

        One trip or two? Our agency is still holding out on the verdict until they know for sure. This whole thing is a wild ride!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: